Thursday, 3 January 2008

Take a nap now!

Does this sound familiar?

It is probably the middle of the day. You don't feel right. Perhaps sluggish. Or you've been staring at the same sentence on your computer for the last 10 minutes. Or rubbing your eyes, heaven help us, when driving.

It's time to take a nap.

I took Biological Rhythms back in the day and it really intrigued me how the body adjusts it's sleep patterns. Whether you like it or not.

Having two little ones and my wife, two out of three whom are sick at the moment, I am getting a good reminder about sleep and it's importance. I haven't had a good nights sleep in about 4 nights. I am starting to feel it now.

I'm making sure I eat well. No simple sugar snacks for a "boost", just good nutrition. I also have been continuing to exercise.

But it still doesn't overcome poor sleep. I have been getting the "sluggies" around the middle of the day. So what do I do? I surrender and take a nap.

Between 10 and 20 minutes. Anything longer than that and your body thinks you are going to sleep. That isn't what you want. Studies have shown a quick nap improves attention and focus.

I know it is not always possible but it is important, firstly, to get good consistent sleep. It helps in so many ways; losing weight, decreasing stress, clear and coherent thinking. Secondly, get a nap in for a pick me up when you are in a lull.

Who's looking out for you?

In health,

Todd